Sue: 07748 971331
Dive Pembrokeshire UK
The South Section.
A wreck lying in around 18 metres between
Gateholmn and Jack Sound. A lot of scattered wreckage around and not easy
to pick up on the depth sounder. The area sould be avoided when the tide is
running north as this will take you into Jack Sound. A nice wreck with lots
of cover for marine life.
Another vessel lies of the top of it and another lies inside her towards the mainland.
To the east of Hen & Chicks, buried in the sand is the remains of a Wellington Bomber. It was coming into land near Talbenny when it hit the side of the cliffs and sank just from them. Remains have been seen sticking up out of the sands just after a storm. In May 1999 a local fisherman called Bobby Cairns, brought up part of the undercarriage in the area.
There are five reports of missing aircraft in the area, they are as follows.
On the 5th Oct Wellington HF204, ditched into St Brides Bay on a navex operation. Sgt Fisher rests in East Sheen Cemetery, Barnes the others are in Runnymede Memorial.
Wellington Bomber hit the clifts on the 7th / 8th Spetember 1943, and it was based at RAF Bruntingthorpe Leicestershire. All six crew were lost-Bilke, Baxter, scott, Semark, widdowson and Hopkins.
December 1943 a Wellington W5678 ditched into St Brides Bay and the crew of 6 were rescued.
July 1944 a Halifax HX338 crashed into St Brides Bay all crew were killed.
In May 1945 a Beaufort ML620 ditched near Stack Rocks in St Brides Bay the pilot was killed.
A rock out from Linney Head where there are quite a few wrecks scattered about. Tides can be fast, pick the slack and dive around the rock. Depths are not too deep, and there are some nice drop off around the rock. A lot of wreckage scattered about and worth exploring.
Another area where there are many listed wrecks dotted around the head. Again worth taking a look with the depth sounder.
Around the corner from Martins Haven lies a wreck in about 17 meters, which we are exploring at the movement.
The Slate Wreck.
A recent discovery made by Len Bateman from Dive Pembrokeshire in 1998. Just out of Martins Haven at High Point some large pieces of slate was found, about a few hundred in all. After a search of the area some scraps of metal were also found. The slate lies on an edge of a large reef dropping down to over 20 meters Tides are slack, but care must be taken of the fishing line which seems to cover the bottom like a spiders web.
Wreck at Musselwick Bay.
Been searching for this for a while, and we think we have found some bits of wreckage. Still looking at moment.
There are nearly 40 wrecks within easy reach of the launch sites here. My favorite wreck, and that of many other visiting divers too, has to be the 450-ton two-hold Dutch coaster, the Lucy. This 168ft long vessel sank in 1967 with a cargo of calcium carbide (used in making acetylene gas). Having struck Cable Rock in the middle of Jack Sound on Valentine's Day, the 7-man crew and one Collie dog promptly abandoned ship to avoid the results of the sea water/calcium carbide cocktail they had produced.
Lies along the rocks the other side from The Lucy at a place called The Neck, east of South Haven. She is spread over a large area and tides are slack near the cliffs. Makes for a good second dive after the Lucy. Depths are around 8m 15 meters. In the bay to the left as you face the Island you will usually see seals. They can be quite playful, especially the young pups. The area is well protected from any north winds. Launch out of Dale and drive around the heads towards Skomer Island. As the name states, many Dead Eyes have been found on the wreck.
Molesey Wreck 51
44`02"N 05 15`39"W
Plan of wreck
Sank in 1929 in Jack Sound, Skomer Island
after a severe storm. Six men and a woman were killed as the lifeboat failed
to find them. The St David's lifeboat reached the Molesey, but upon finding
no signs of life they returned. The crew were still on board, and the Angle
Lifeboat was called out the next morning and rescued the remaining 28 crew.
Depths are only 7m. Currents can be dangerous away from the cliffs. She lies on the SE side of Midland Island. Launch from Dale or Little Haven. A good second dive after the Lucy.
Santa Cruz 51.43N 05.06.45W
Sank in 1679 carrying $2,500.000 in gold and silver. Has been searched for without success.
Lonsdale. Wreck 51.42.05N 05.15.40W
Ran short of fuel in a storm, and took more on at Martins Haven to return to Milford. She then struck Crab stones in Jack Sound and was swept into Midland Island, where the Molesey had struck.
Drina 51 40 27.1"N 05 18 00.7"W
She lies south of Skokholm in 42 metres of water to the decks and 60 metres to the bottom. She is a hugh wreck and can be picked up on the depth sounder. Completley intact and lies upside down. Slack water and calm seas are advised before setting out. Carrying 4000 tons of carge, torpedoed by German sub in March 1917. Another wreck near this wreck can be found called the Trennet, this also lies upside down. A steamship 152x18m Three decks. 2 miles west of Skokholm Island. 11,483 tons. More Information This wreck is around 500 feet long.
Lies not far from the Drina, lies upside down.
Kingston. 51 44 39"N 05 21 44"W
To the west of Skokholm Island in over 50 metres of water.
Hurst 51 41 20"N 05 20 37"W
To the south of Skokholm Is in about 60 metres of water.
Jonas Lie. Wreck
Torpedoed in 1945 off Grassholm, an American Steamer.
Dalserf Wreck Grassholm. 51 43`44"N 05 28`32"W
Sank in 1910 when she hit the Island of Grassholm in nine meters of water. She weighted 1849 tons and was 260 feet long and 40 feet wide. Her cargo was coal. She lies 150 meters south of East Trump. Launch from Dale, Gelliswick,or Little Haven, Grassholm is about an hour away. The Island is home to thousands of Gannets. Currents can be up to 4 knots with the bottom mainly rocky with small stones.
Luminence Wreck 51 4120N 05 32 20W
Lies on the Hats and Barrels on the way out to the Smalls.
588 tons, 190 feet long and 28 feet wide. Sank on March 1st 1967, in rough weather and 40mph winds. The crew were rescued by helicopter with the help of Potroclus another ship diverted to help with the rescue. Lies in about 50m of water.
Cambro The Smalls. Wreck 51 43`07"N 05 40`10"W
A cargo Steamship of 1918 tons sank in 1913. She is 282 feet long and 40 feet wide. The Smalls wreck lies off the lighthouse, 150 east of it in 12-22m of water.
Launch out of Gelliswick, Broad Haven, Little Haven or Dale. It takes about two hours to get there by fast craft. Visit only in calm and settles weather. Slack is one hour before HW and five hours after HW Milford.
Set sail from Milford and upon leaving the Haven got into trouble outside the Heads in a severe storm. Was brought back into Milford where she was left to sink. In the middle of the night she set sail on her own accord and headed towards Skokholm Island where she sank in Wreck Bay. The wood that was salvaged by the Island owner provided him with enough wood to build a few house and set up home, and her cargo of coal was used as heating. This came in handy for times were hard for the folk who lived on the Island.
The figure head from the vessel to this day
stands guard over the entrance to the Island and can be seen by all who enter.
Visiting the Island is restricted and no landing is allowed. To obtain permission call Dale Sailing and they will give you the information required and when they are sailing to the Island next.
Thorn Island & The Haven
When conditions are bad divers tend to dive the Haven as a last resort. Dive the Haven when the vis is good and you will in for a treat. There are many wrecks in the Haven, some of which are never dived. Although the depths are not great (8-25m) they provide some of the best wreck diving in the UK. Everyone who comes to Pembrokeshire wants to dive the Lucy, but with a bottom time of some 8 mins, is it really worth it? In the Haven there are over 12 wrecks! The Dakotion being one of them, its one of the best wrecks around when you have the vis. There are many places to swim through and the rudder is huge and well worth seeing. Other wrecks are the Caroline, Beehar, Greek, Landing Craft, Collier, Thor, HMS Barking, Highland Home (30 meters), Sub, Martrona, Faraday, Loch Shiel and a few more. Launching is out of Dale which makes it easy to load and unload along side the pontoon. There is a café where you can sit outside overlooking the Haven, or Thorn Island where they serve food and drinks. Thorn Island guards the entrance to Milford Haven, with some fine views and an atmosphere all of its very own. We visit Thorn Island on our Wreck Week Discovery packages, details contact Len.
She was a cable laying vessel, bombed by the Germans off St Ann's head in 1941. She was escorted into smooth water and sunk the next day. Out of 125 crew members, 16 lost there lives. This dive is a protected place, and permission may have to be obtained if you wish to dive her. She lies between 5 to 16 meters of water, and is situated under the cliffs at Hoopers point. There are no currents under the cliffs, and vis is good. A large anchor was found in 1999 by Dive Pembrokeshire weighing about half a ton. Also half a port hole was discovered at the same time.
Lies just outside Dale. Parts of the wreck
can be swum through as for the wheel house at 6 meters, and makes an excellent
dive. It has about ten windows in a circular pattern that you can enter. Large
conger and octopus are found, as well as the largest pollack fish I have ever
seen. Cable laying ship sunk two days after the Dakota. Rock and gravel bottom.
Depths at around 16m. Launch out of Dale or Gelliswick. Was one of the first
casualties during the second world war in Milford Haven, but sank due to human
The Behar was carrying Harley Davidson bikes. It was carrying three guns, one of them was near the wheel house. It was blow appart as a shipping hazzard but still remains a good wreck dive.
Ethel May 51.42.30N 05.09.30W
Lost in dale Bay in Jan 1936. Sank after heavy storms.
Helene 51.41.03N 05.08.45W
Fishing vessel sank after hitting a German mine.
MGB. No 12 51.43N 05.06.45W
Wooden Gunboat hit a German mine. Sank in Feb 1941
Sank in Mill Bay on March 14th 1964. Was a B class Boom defense vessel. Sank during a force 6 and was blown into Mill Bay after being towed into Milford to be scrapped. She lay exposed for many years gradually breaking up. Bits of brass have been picked up from her in 1999. Gullies below the kelp to explore. In 1999 we picked up quite a few pieces of brass from under the cliffs.
Adamantios J Pithis Wreck ( The Greek) 51 40 47N 05 10 16W
Lies in 10 to 16 m of water, and just under the cliffs to the right of the old coastguard HQ. Currents are strong, so keep well into the cliffs. A cabin can be seen, and many bricks, which was once the ballast of the boat. There are also some boilers which rise to about 6 meters from the surface. Some say that this wreck is not the Greek and that the Greek lies further out from the point of St Ann's Head.
Wreck usually dived when the weather is rough. She lies in the Haven just out of Dale. Boats can be launched out of Dale where there is a concrete slipway, which is accessible to low water. A jetty is also available to moor the rib to. The wreck is marked with a Buoy which lies NW of it. Sank in 1940 , a Merchant ship of 6,426 tons, 400 feet long and 52 feet wide. Depth of wreck from 7m to 19m. Visibility can be poor, and tides fast.
Sank by a mine while dropping anchor on the night of 21/11/40 and went down in 3 min. In 1976 efforts raised a 1918 vintage 4" Vickers gun. The bow was blow apart as she presented a navigation hazard to shipping. Parts of the wreck can be dived through. Bow Section: Rich in Devonshire cup corals. Bottles of medicine have been found. Tin plate next to the fallen mast can be found. If you pick up some of the sheets you will be able to see your reflection in them. To the left squeeze between the side of the ship and the compartments. There are boxes containing ammunition for the guns that use to be on board.
Drop over the side and you can swim under her at this point, where you will find the rudder still attached. There is lots of marine life to be seen at this point.
Situated between the Dakotion and the Collier. We found her position recently and carried out some dives on her. We discovered many items, such as silver forks and spoons. Wreckage scattered all over, quite broken up but there are lots of it.Bombed by German aircraft.
Wreck next to Dakotion. (Caroline other half)
This is the other half of the Caroline and can be found to the west of the Dakotion in about 18 metres of water. Very hard to pick up on the depth sounder as she is only a small section.
Go to the bottom of the rudder on the Dakotion, and move away from the top of the scourpit and head 060 degrees for 4 mins. The bow section of the Caroline will appear. Quite a small wreck compared with the Dakotion. Converted fishing trawler. The bow section is impresive and the back of the ship can be entered and swum through, exiting up through the bow section.
She was carrying gunpowder and sank in 1894 off Thorn Island. A sailing ship of 1218 tons 205 long and 36 f wide. Lies in 10-15 m of water. She lit a mattress as a distress signal. Also known as the whiskey wreck. She has 60 cases, all 100 percent proof, and was picked up by locals, and hidden in cliffs and buried. Some remained concealed for years, and as far back as only 1950 2 bottles were found in a roof of a nearby house in Angle. The only death from the wreck was a local who had found some of the whiskey and drunk himself to death!
Bits of pottery found marked Royal Dalton still being found. Also glass from the whiskey bottles are picked up nearer the island. Can dive under the wreck on the side nearest Thorn Island. The main part of the wreck lies at 10m and lies East / West. In 1999 a group of divers discovered some 6 bottles of beer, which they dug out from the side of the wreck. The beer was over 100 years old.
Seventy nine people died as two landing craft coming from Holyhead sank in gale force winds on 25th April 1943, off the Pembrokeshire coast at St Ann's Head. On their journey they asked permission to enter Fishguard harbour to shelter from the storm, but were refused permission. They continuing towards Milford Haven and headed straight into the south westerly gale force winds. The craft began taking on water faster that the pumps could handle. Upon reaching St Ann's head they radioed for help. The coastguard called the Angle lifeboat but were told that it was out of commission. Six hours went by before the St David's lifeboat was eventually called out. It took them two and a half hours to reach the crafts, by which time it was dark and nothing could be done. The two craft separated and the LCG15 sank. The HMS Rosemary was also on her way, and upon reaching the LCG16 launched her lifeboat. The six men on board were killed trying to rescue them, as the lifeboat overturned in rough seas. The LCG16 soon sank herself with all loss of life. The bodies were washed ashore in Freshwater Bay, some of the bodies were still warm. The people on the shore tried to resuscitate them, but failed. There were six bodies still left on the wreck and the site since has been classed as a war grave. The design of the vessel was said to be at fault and was changed after the accident, the original design went missing.
Clapham 51.37.18N 05.12W
Sank in 1943 south of St. Anns Head after hitting another vessel.
Coaster lying upside down on a muddy bottom. Sank during the War when it was swamped by a following sea. Lots of fish life. Depth down to 25m. Difficult to find, the transits can be obtained from Dive Pembrokeshire. In 1999 during a wreck discovery week, a world war two battery was found. The wreck has started to break up and can now be penetrated with caution. Carge was coal, sank 18/12/1943, three men killed. In 2002 it has started to break up and has turned on its side, revealing some of its secrets.
Lies towards the shipping channel in the haven at about 20 meters Have found a compass ring on her in 1999, as well as some kitchen bits. A large ship of over 6000 tons, sitting upside down on the bottom. As she breaks up there are places to go inside and have a look. We are still finding items from the wreck, brass compass ring, brass lamps and brass cog wheels.
Lies in Watic Bay in about 6 - 10 meters
of water. Only bits of it remain, as one local dive charter blew it up for
its brass, broke in two while being towed back into the Haven, the second
half of the wreck lies in Mill Bay. The torpedo tube can still be seen.
Picture and more info
For info on other Subs check out U Boat.net
Spitfire Linney Head
Sank 3 miles off Linnet Head for more details
Out to the left of the Haven lying in about 30 meters of water. The bow section rises from the sea bed to about 6 meters The ribs of the boat can easily be seen, when we dived it there were quite a few Lobsters on it. Slack seems to be 1 hour before LW and HW. To the south side of Sheep Island, locate the gap in the rocks between the island and the mainland and lineup an Aerial mast with the gap. Facing north, line up the middle chimney with the dip in the cliffs, as these two transits show. Iron Sailing ship, 71x11m 1371 tons. Passenger vessel. Sank under tow.
Balholm Wreck 51 36 751 N 05 04 155 W
A 240 ton vessel on its way to Ireland, got into engine trouble and drifted towards Crow Rock on Jan 26th 1979. The Angle lifeboat took people off, it dropped anchor half a mile west of Crow Rock, where it remained for a few days and then vanished! The seas were moderate and no reason could be seen why she had vanished. Lifejackets were washed up on Lydstep beach, 15 miles away, and a lifeboat washed up 43 miles W, NW of Linney Head.
Prince Irene. 51.37.30N 05.04W
763 tons, 209 feet long and 30 feet wide. A cargo steamer which ran into Linney Head, mistaking it for St Govans head in dense fog. Crew were rescued using rocket apparatus. Goods rescued were oils, beer, whiskey, soap, candles, canvas and ropes. Sank in 1906. Wind conditions were SW force 3
Iotonia Wreck. Mewspoint.
Depth at only 8m a very pretty dive. The boiler is open and could be dived through. Care must be taken as it is also home to a Conger Eel. The cooling rods are home to a family of Blennies. Their heads popping out of the rode just above the opening to the boiler. A very unusual sight indeed. Cuttle fish are also found, one changed colour as it looked at me before turning and disappearing into the distance, something out of Star Treck! Lots of interesting Sea slugs can be found. The wreck was sunk by a WW1 sub after leaving Milford haven on October 20th 1917. All 160 men got safely away in life boats, but as they attempted to land one of the boats overturned and its 22 occupants went into the sea. Six drowned and the rest clung to the rocks. The six men which died are buried at Castlemartin Churchyard. A old bottle was found with the markings Birkenhead "In full swing", which was from the wreck. A brass capstan is embedded in the sand. Unexploded shells have also been found from WW1 and are best left alone! The area is in the Castlemartin firing range, and first must be checked that the area is not active. Call the coastguard first before taking the journey.
Nicola Virginia 51.36N 05.00.15W
Past Linney Head lies a wreck under the cliffs. It has some brass parts on her, together with copper wire. There is wreckage covering a large area along the coast, and worth exploring. The swell can be quite severe in the area, especially when there is a low out towards the sea. Well sheltered from the wind in any northerly direction. An excellent wreck to dive, plenty to explore especially its three large boilers and crank shaft. Plenty of holes to look into and copper wire everywhere. Sank in 1946 in fog. Carring grain.
Slack Water is one and a half hours before LW.
HMS. Shamrock 51.37.30N 05.04W
Linney Head a fishing trawler made of wood, stranded and lost in Sw force 7 winds when fishing.
Below are a few wrecks for you wreckies out there. These are fairly new, some are quite deep some are not. Keep checking this site for new info which is being added all the time. Check out our watson pages for up to date information.
St Jaques. 51 39 54 N 05 07 18 W
War Grave, situated outside St Anns Head.
Burry 51 41 808 N 05 16 123 W
1889 3 metres to 21 metres 151 GT
HMS Marojam 51 37 007 N 05 01 216 W
Sunk close to shore in 1921
Landing craft 51 41 643 N 05 05 315 W
4 metres off bottom, and 1951
Wema 51 54 220 N 05 21 110 W
Mona 51 54 220 N 05 22 990 W
Colonian 51 53 730 N 05 24 090 W
Outside the Haven in about 37 metres of water. Best time to dive is 1-2 hours before low water Milford Haven.
* Information for some of the above wrecks
was obtained from the books on wrecks by Tom Bennett. These books are available
from our mail order shop.